Optimal awarded $110 million contract from NBN Co Premise Installation Equipment (PIE) contract)
On 15th Novemeber 2011, NBN Co, the Federal Government Business Enterprise (GBE) that has been established to provide Australia with a Fibre to the Premise (FttP) network that will connect 93% of homes, schools and workplaces with optical fibre, providing superfast broadband services to Australians in urban and regional towns (for the remaining 7% NBN Co will provide connection to next generation fixed wireless), awarded Optimal and our Partner OFS (www.ofsoptics.com) a 5 year supply contract valued at $110 million for the supply of cable and connectivity solutions for this project
NBN Co CEO Mike Quigley said: “We have worked to domestically source as much equipment for the NBN as possible. However, we needed to balance costs against the preference for Australian-made to arrive at a cost-effective result. We have now sourced a range of equipment to form a catalogue of consistent, quality components that our installation contractors can use to suit different housing and commercial building types.
This is an exciting outcome for Optimal and testament to the quality and capabilities of our Australian manufacturing facility, as this project is one of the biggest of it’s type anywhere in the world, it attracted some of the world’s largest suppliers and Optimal’s win confirms our global completeness and world class manufacturing status